Saturday, January 2, 2010

Winter

Well, the ol' white stuff is getting pretty deep, and the cold is creeping into my bones. More and more, I find myself hating this weather, and longing for Summer.



I keep looking forward to retirement, when I can pick up and move to a better climate, but every time I turn around, things keep plotting against my plans. At one time, I could look forward to retirement at the ripe old age of 62...but now I have to work to the age of 65.



When I started at Polk, I could retire with full pension after five years of service once reaching retirement age...since then it has gone from 5 to 10 to 15, and is now 20 years, and the new contract will probably move that up yet again.



It is a good thing that I have a burial plot here, because the way things are going, I will more than likely be dead before I can retire.



I do love to look out on the beauty of the season, but more and more, all I worry about is falling and breaking something. Funny how that takes some of the pleasure of enjoying the season and turns it into a real threat.



I have no family here, and most of my friends, are spread out about town, and rarely even call or return calls. Everyone is so tied up with work and family, that they rarely get together any more. Which contributes to the fear of falling that I recently have adopted. But all being said, Winter though beautiful, is a season for the young, when sled rides, ice skating and countless other activities negate the numbing cold that settles into my old bones.

No comments: